5 months ago
Assistant / Consultant Ecologist (Newcastle)
Do you have a passion for ecology and existing survey skills? Are you a fast learner? Considering that next step to join a fun and busy ecology team?
As a consultancy of approximately 1,600 staff in the UK, we are large enough to work on a variety of schemes within a range of sectors. These can include anything from large residential and commercial schemes to major infrastructure projects. We are currently working with the MoD on numerous secure sites throughout the UK and with local authorities to help provide infrastructure for the future.
We also work in close collaboration with the 50+ strong ecology team based in N. Ireland, England and Wales offering our team member’s more opportunities to broaden our skills base and learn from the many experts we have.
Our Senior team have themselves progressed through the ranks at WYG, starting as Consultant and Senior Ecologists, and now working at director level which not only demonstrates the opportunities for development that are open to our ecologists, but also makes them ideal leaders for WYG’s ecology team. They have technical backgrounds in Ecology and EIA, including strong fieldwork skills, coupled with a clear understanding of market and client requirements and an ability to communicate across a diverse range of groups.
As experienced ecologists, we understand how ecologists think and work and have introduced ecology-specific methods to allow the team to fulfil their potential:
* With over 50 permanent ecologists across 13 offices, we work hard to operate as one cohesive team to minimise time away from home, maximise bespoke training and support from our in-house experts regardless of location, and to allow the best people to work on the projects that interest them and deliver them to the highest standards.
* We encourage the development of well-rounded ecologists who can talk about all stages of a project rather than a niche area. We don’t pigeon-hole ecologists who have specific skills and instead encourage diversification of skills and the passing on of knowledge to fellow ecologists. We recently held an all-ecology get together over two days where our experts provided training, including out in the field, on tree assessments for bats, willow tit habitat management and the use of technology when recording data, to name but a few.
* Given that all grades of ecologist complete site visits and meetings, we provide cars or car allowances to every member of team, including for personal use.
* Our Class 2 bat licence incentivisation scheme thanks those ecologists who have spent time and effort in achieving their licences – we know it’s not easy! And to show our support of personal development, we award a significant financial bonus to anyone achieving Chartered Environmentalist status through CIEEM.
* We work alongside many other teams including Archaeologists, Landscape Architects, Masterplanners and Engineers, with our Planning colleagues providing a session at our get together to explain planning terminology. With a culture of openness, there is always someone within the business who can provide advice and support for almost any query.
* We also have an established TOIL system which allows ecologists to manage their time to suit their specific needs.
Our team has doubled in size over the last five years and we continue to go from strength to strength. As such, we are now looking to recruit an Assistant or Consultant Ecologist to support the established Newcastle team.
We remain focused on recruiting the best ecologists so are happy to discuss flexible working patterns, including part-time or fixed-term contracts, with the right candidate.
We are looking for an ecologist who has some experience of ecological consultancy or wildlife surveying. Applicants who hold EPS licenses, have ornithology survey, GIS mapping and reporting experience are strongly encouraged to apply.
In return for your dedication, you’ll enjoy a quality total remuneration package, including contributory pension, health cover and flexible working options. Pick and choose your perfect blend from advantages including childcare vouchers, additional holiday and travel insurance. You’ll also benefit from a tailored package or professional training and development, with support to achieve your career goals.
The WYG flexible benefits scheme was introduced in recognition of the fact that the needs and priorities of each individual differ. WYG “Flexible Benefits” is a menu of benefit options which allows you to vary your remuneration package to suit your own personal circumstances.