13 days ago
Area Project Controls Manager (16486)
Job ID: 16486
Location: Preston, UK
Working Hours: 37.00 per week
The role requires professional knowledge gained through substantial applicable work experience, to supplement formal knowledge, in order to apply principles and concepts in resolving issues as they arrive. To facilitate effective programme and project management by providing leadership to an area based Project Controls Team. Ensuring robust, single source, management information is provided across the regulated and non-regulated Programme. To ensure that Functional Controls capability continually improves re people/ process/ systems in both function and delivery. To support the Programme Controls Manager with the functional capability across people, process and systems and to identify succession planning and recruitment within the function.
As an Area Controls Manager the key outputs are:
* To provide robust, single source, accurate management information that enables effective delivery of all activities within the scope of the Capital Programme across each business area, programme, sub-programme and project as appropriate.
* Accountable through Programme Management Office Line Management for process, systems and personal development. Responsible for the development of self and team – training needs, coaching and mentoring.
* Responsible for service and support to Project Management on a day to day delivery basis.
* Provides leadership to the Functional Controls team in line with the UU leadership charter resulting in a team that meets the needs of the Capital Programme.
* Leads the Area Controls team in establishing and developing the relationship with key stakeholders and customers for Regulated work and Non-Regulated to ensure delivery of the Capital Programme.
* Management of the interfaces within the Programme Management Office team and its key customers and stakeholders resulting in an effective relationship that provides information which enables the delivery ofthe Capital programme.
* Understanding of the Regulatory Contract is expected
* Delivering a baseline position, reflecting the company business plan and any approved change.
* Measuring, controlling, forecasting and reporting on the Engineering Delivery Programme and its Projects. Including scope, cost and schedule across all levels of the programme.
* Time management – required to independently manage own time in order to meet strict deadlines and management/ co-ordination of both team and a wide variety of information sources and stakeholders
* HSE – understanding and implementing both team and personal responsibilities for the safe operation in all work locations and site visits, including all travel between.
Knowledge and Skills
* The post holder will be educated to degree level or possess significant experience in the relevant discipline of project controls and be a member of a relevant professional body.
* A high level of business awareness within UU Plc or in a similar project delivery organisation is essential with significant experience
* Demonstrable leadership and management experience including managing teams, defining roles and responsibilities, planning future needs and operations, employee performance management
* The role requires professional knowledge gained through substantial applicable work experience in project controls or similar discipline, to supplement formal knowledge, in order to apply principles and concepts in resolving issues relating to project and programme delivery
* Demonstrable experience of commercial practices including contractual arrangements, procurement routes and engagement of Service Providers / Delivery Partners.
* Knowledge and experience of Programme Management Office, Commercial, Project Management, HR and Procurement departmental procedures providing increased business benefits is essential
* NVQ Level 4 in Project Controls is desirable or equivalent
* Demonstrate ability to influence decision makers and build effective relationships
* Strong communications and diplomacy skills are required to guide, influence and convince others, in particular colleagues in other areas/departments
* Flexibility and adaptability to respond rapidly to unexpected events, having the ability to develop creative solutions to problems and implement within team
* Knowledge and experience of Capital Programmes IT toolkits
We need fantastic people to enable us to deliver a great service to the public. We are committed to reaching and recruiting from every community and then supporting employees to achieve their full potential ensuring they feel valued and included, regardless of their gender, age, race, disability, sexual orientation or social background.
If you are offered a job with us, a number of pre-employment checks need to be carried out before your appointment can be confirmed. Any offer of employment with United Utilities will be subject to a satisfactory checking report from the Disclosure Scotland / the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Closing Date: 07/05/21