10 months ago
£26,500 per annum + Bonus Schemes + Benefits
Category: Graduate Jobs
QinetiQ is a leading science and engineering company operating primarily in the defence, security and critical infrastructure markets. We offer our customers world-class expertise through our services and innovative technology-based products. Our people proactively understand our customers’ current and future needs and create and enable solutions at greater pace to meet current, adjacent and emergent threats. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
Job description/Person specification
Employment Type: Full Time – Permanent
Salary: £26,500 per annum + Bonus Schemes + Benefits
Start Date: September 2020
The Laser and Optical Physics teams at Malvern work within the Applied Science Discipline and are one of the main contributors to the development of the UK and international defence capability in the High Energy Laser (HEL) and sensor expertise in passive millimetre systems. In these teams you will join a leading Global Defence Technology & Security organisation. You will work within the Applied Sciences business unit based at the QinetiQ Malvern site.
They also provide assurance and expert advice to customers on Laser & Optical issues. The team conducts a variety of work at all stages of the engineering lifecycle – from concept development, to prototype design, through to validation and deployment of novel products. By collaborating with academia, industry and the government the team seeks to understand present and future technology requirements, supporting the defence and security sector through cutting edge research programmes and trials in our dedicated facilities or at customer locations. As a specialist function in QinetiQ, the team can deliver their expertise into a number of domains from Maritime, Land and Weapons through to Air and Space.
The successful applicant will likely have a background in lasers/optical physics, electrical or mathematics or another related STEM discipline. Through the QinetiQ graduate scheme, you will receive training to hone and develop your skills, giving you the confidence to deliver professional research, testing and expertise to military and commercial clients.
Duties & Responsibilities
You could be responsible for:
- Contributing to some of the most challenging, high profile science and technology research programmes in the UK and overseas.
- You will be a part of the High Energy Laser (HEL) and passive millimetre systems teams, through your experience of the design and implementation of optical systems, will be actively involved in delivering designs and hardware relating to novel laser/sensing systems.
- Working with a variety of stakeholders to understand current and future defence requirements.
- Advise on the optical design aspects of novel laser and optical systems including beam control & safety considerations
- Contribute ideas for internal investment, business growth and new optical capability.
- Collaborating with colleagues to create innovative Laser/Optical concepts. This will include system and sub-system design activities
- Conducting experimental trials to confirm theoretical predictions in labs and outdoor ranges across the UK and internationally.
- Generation of safety cases and risk assessments based on sound scientific and engineering knowledge.
- Carrying out software development, modelling and analysis using tools such as MATLAB, Python and LabVIEW.
- Keeping abreast of technology and instrumentation advancements.
- Sharing knowledge with both new and experienced team members to continuously develop the team capability.
- Working with colleagues to produce proposals, test plans, reports and other documentation.
- Delivering data analysis and presentations to project leads/customers.
- Presenting to a variety of audiences including prospective customers and at conferences.
Joining QinetiQ you would:
- Work in multidisciplinary teams delivering projects to a wide range of military, government and commercial customers
- Determine the best way for our customers to exploit novel and emerging technologies
- Be part of a two year graduate programme allowing you to develop your technical expertise whilst getting the opportunity to experience a wider range of experience as well
- Get access to training to develop your technical and leadership skills
- Get the opportunity to support community projects, for example acting as a STEM ambassador to local schools
To apply for the role you MUST meet the following criteria;
- Have attained, or are about to attain a minimum of a 2:1 Bachelor’s degree in a science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM) subject
- Be willing to learn, and have demonstrated an aptitude for learning at pace
- Have a keen interest in technology and engineering
- Hold full British Citizenship
- Must be able to achieve SC level Security Clearance.
Please be aware that this role is subject to both security & export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that you must hold full British citizenship and obtain the right to stay and work within the UK. Restrictions may also mean that any dual or previous nationalities held can affect the roles in which you can perform within QinetiQ.
As well as the opportunity to work in a company at the forefront of the technology sector you will also receive:
- Flexible Employee Benefits
- Annual Salary Review
- Recognition Scheme, volunteering - helping charities & local communities
- Up to 50% discount on meals across a wide range of restaurants
- Up to 15% off high street stores and 40% off cinema tickets
- Buy annual leave, flexible working, social events, employee assistance 24/7
- Gym and sports facilities on larger sites
- 25 days standard annual leave + bank holidays
- Cycle to work scheme
- Much more!