9 months ago
QinetiQ is a leading science and engineering company operating primarily in the defence, security and critical infrastructure markets. We offer our customers world-class expertise through our services and innovative technology-based products. Our people proactively understand our customers’ current and future needs and create and enable solutions at greater pace to meet current, adjacent and emergent threats. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
Job description/Person specification
Employment Type: Full Time - Permanent
Salary: £26,500 per annum + Benefits
Start Date: September 2020
In the Applied Science discipline, we are looking for an ambitious Graduate with a degree qualification in Electrical and Electrical Engineering (candidates with degree in general engineering or Physical Sciences will also be considered), to take up a role in Power Sources - battery test and assessment centre. Our Power Sources capability provides testing, advice, R&D and IP generation and, the Battery test and assessment centre is the primary support to the MoD Engineering arm responsible for advice and specification of batteries across the MoD Equipment. We test all types of batteries both within and outside manufacturers’ specifications, with test durations lasting from a few seconds through to multiple years.
Working as part of a small team of electrical and mechanical engineers, material scientists and chemists engaged in the test and evaluation of currently used batteries and power sources as well as those under development, you will be responsible for the delivery of battery test programs completed in the laboratory.
The role will develop competencies in the use and maintenance activities across a broad range of electronics/electrical equipment, instrumentation and control systems including power electronics and environmental test systems. This also includes providing support to the Laboratory Manager through attendance of management meetings.
The applicant, although based in Farnborough, must be willing to travel on regular basis to our Sevenoaks facility for approximately 6 months, to train with the existing team. Travel and work at other QinetiQ sites will also be required.
Duties & Responsibilities
You could be involved in:
- Research and development covering a number of key areas in materials technology and applications from chemical formulation, materials synthesis and process development to tailoring solutions for platform level test and evaluation
- Developing novel emerging materials related technologies, producing and testing materials and test samples in the laboratory through to building advanced prototypes
- Conducting trials in the UK
- Supporting the development of disruptive solutions for customers with complex needs
- Contributing to some of the most challenging, high profile science and technology programmes in the UK and overseas.
Joining QinetiQ you will:
- Work in multidisciplinary teams delivering projects to a wide range of military, government and commercial customers
- Determine the best way for our customers to exploit novel and emerging technologies
- Get access to training to develop your technical and leadership skills
- Get the opportunity to support community projects, for example acting as a STEM ambassador to local schools
To apply for the role, you will need to meet the following criteria;
- Electrical and Electrical Engineering degree qualification (candidates with degree in general engineering or Physical Sciences will be considered). Please note that Electronics/Electrical Engineering to NVQ level 4/HNC/HND (or equivalent) or higher, or suitable experience (evidence required) will also be considered.
- Possess a working knowledge of electrical and electronic equipment and systems
- Ability to interpret electronic and electrical drawings
- Be willing to learn, and have demonstrated an aptitude for learning at pace
- Have a keen interest in science, technology and engineering
- Hold full British Citizenship
Please be aware that this role is subject to both security & export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that you must hold full British citizenship and obtain the right to stay and work within the UK. Restrictions may also mean that any dual or previous nationalities held can affect the roles in which you can perform within QinetiQ.
As well as the opportunity to work in a company at the forefront of the technology sector you will also receive:
- Flexible Employee Benefits
- Recognition Scheme, volunteering - helping charities & local communities
- Up to 50% discount on meals across a wide range of restaurants
- Up to 15% off high street stores and 40% off cinema tickets
- Buy annual leave, flexible working, social events, employee assistance 24/7
- Gym and sports facilities on larger sites
- 25 days standard annual leave + bank holidays
- Cycle to work scheme
- Much more!