6 months ago
Analogue/ Digital Electronics Engineer
Airbus Defence and Space Ltd.
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2018 it generated revenues of 64 billion and employed a workforce of around 134,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners. Airbus is also a Europeanleader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as one of the world's leading space companies. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Description of the job
The Space Systems Telecoms business unit of Airbus Defence & Space Ltd., Portsmouth has a vacancy in the Payload Equipment Specialists team for an experienced Analogue / Digital electronics engineer. The ideal candidate will have with significant design and production experience of electronic devices and equipment for space applications, particularly DC-DC convertors. Knowledge of FPGAs, ASICs, telemetry and tele command protocols and digital signal processing techniques is also desirable.
In this role you will support the active Equipment Specialists in evaluating/ monitoring the DC design/ functionality of new and modified heritage equipment, with particular emphasis on change management and evaluation of the immunity of circuits to single event upset.
The role has two main aspects:
1) You will be responsible for overseeing Payload Equipment activities across active projects, starting with equipment specification, engineering support to procurement activities, engineering support to reviews within Airbus and also with external suppliers and customers, problem resolution and validation in support to Assembly Integration and Test and concluding with support to in-orbit delivery and long term support to in-orbit operations
2) The role also encompasses forward looking aspects such as support to the Telecom proposal team, support to R&D, new products introduction and continuous improvement of the tools and processes.
You will also work closely with functional specialists (EMC, Radiation and Electrical Systems), with the Payload Technical Authority (who are tasked with ensuring the design robustness of the equipment) and will interface with the internal procurement organisation and external customers.
The successful candidate will be subject to UK National Security Clearance
The role requires occasional travel overseas.
Tasks & accountabilities
The main roles and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Working closely with suppliers on equipment development/production monitoring with a focus on improving OQOTOC (On Quality On Time and On Cost) performance
- Providing technical support and risk evaluation during the bid and supplier selection processes
- Generation of inputs to generic and project-specific procurement specifications
- Providing technical support during design and production reviews with suppliers and customers
- Leading non-conformance reviews with suppliers
- Supporting equipment related validation activities at payload and satellite level
- Ensuring lessons learned are properly captured
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the company's success, reputation and sustainable growth.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A degree in electrical/ electronic engineering, mathematics or physics
- Several years’ experience in the design, development and production of analogue/ digital hardware, as part of a multidisciplinary team
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to generate innovative solutions
- A structured approach to work, with the ability to multitask and meet deadlines
- Experience of working directly with customers /suppliers
- The confidence/ ability to present complex ideas and concepts to the customer/supplier with authority
- Some knowledge of the requirements of the space or military market