4 months ago
In line with experience
Category: Management Jobs
QinetiQ comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
Job description/Person specification
This role is responsible for the line management and discipline development for a team of circa 10 engineers ranging from graduates through to Principal engineers. It is expected that this will be approximately 20-30% of the role
The role will lead the development of the competency of their team in line with individual development needs and business requirements. The individual performing this role will also have responsibility for delivery of bids, projects, investments etc. as defined by the business.
The role will also be responsible for working as part of a wider team to identify improvements in productivity across the Group ensuring that colleagues are exposed to the best opportunities and that the Business is utilising their skills effectively.
It is expected that this role will be operating at Principal Engineer level working for the majority of their time as a key engineer in integrated delivery teams or integrated capture teams.
Capability: Responsible for developing capability in their team in line with the requirements of the business as defined by the Head of Discipline and the Group Leads.
Capacity: Supporting the delivery of productivity targets in line with targets defined by the Head of Discipline.
Culture: They will develop an effective environment that facilitates vibrant and collaborative working within their team in line with QinetiQ leadership behaviours and values.
Change: Responsible for ensuring a smooth transition to the new organisational model, leading members of their skill team through the change.
Technical Expertise: Working for the majority of time as an experienced engineer within programmes improving business delivery through technical excellence by performing a variety of project, bid and investment tasks.
Customer & Industry Relations: Responsible for maintaining and developing the capability and competency of their team so that customer demands are met. The role holder will develop an internal and industry network to enable transfer of best practice into their team.
Collaboration: Through partnership and communication, work across QinetiQ to create collaborative working relationships that demonstrably drives capability.
Discipline Development: Recognised as an experienced engineer internally with colleagues and in the external market. Demonstrable self-progression against discipline competencies. Driving a culture of continuous discipline development within their team.
• Robust understanding of the Mission Systems Aerospace engineering discipline
• Ability to challenge poor behaviours and make corrective changes in their team and across other teams
• A respected line manager across the relevant engineering community
• Experienced in providing advice, assurance and best practice into programmes containing a large element of the relevant engineering capability
• Experience of developing and line managing others and building effective teams
• Excellent Mission Systems engineering delivery and technical leadership experience
• Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills
• Ability to quickly understand the broad and diverse technical domains that their Mission Systems engineering team supports and the implications to the development and sustainment of capability
Experience & Qualifications:
• Demonstrable experience working in the Mission Systems Aerospace engineering discipline with a technical leadership background
• Leadership and capability development of teams to meet specific objectives
• Stakeholder engagement and leadership (both within and external to QinetiQ) to ensure successful delivery of complex projects
• A chartered engineer or equivalent demonstrable experience
• Minimum HNC in an associate Engineering domain
Location: Waddington or Warton