8 months ago
The Job Description Form should be used for all roles within The
Manufacturing Technology Centre (MTC). This form should be
completed by Head of the Department or Human Resources. A
Recruitment Authorisation Form must also be attached.
Job Title: Additive Technician
Duration of Contract: Permanent
Department/Theme: Workshop. Workshop CMT, Additive
Location: The Manufacturing Technology Centre Ltd., Ansty Park, Coventry, CV7 9JU.
Reporting To: Team Leader Additive
Job Purpose: The National Additive Manufacturing Centre at the MTC is currently in a period of growth. There is an exciting opportunity for an Additive Manufacturing Technician to join as a key member of the team and develop their skills within this growing area of technology. The Additive Technician will be working primarily with metal Additive Manufacturing, Powder Bed Fusion processes. This role will involve a large proportion of time spent working with metallic powder materials through the full Additive
Manufacture (AM) cycle.
The centre is an agile environment. It provides the
flexibility to support a wide range of projects, from
low TRL Research through to High TRL Pre-
production, supported by fixed processes and
procedures to ensure high quality delivery.
1171 JD Additive Technician (v5) Page 1 of 5
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Maintain a Safe working environment for one’s self and others in line with MTC Health & Safety processes and procedures.
• Responsible for the clean-down, setup and operation of specialist Additive Manufacturing systems.
• The use of supporting equipment and processes to achieve the full Additive Manufacturing cycle. This is to include, powder recycling, heat
treatment, part removal, post processing and
inspection, through to final delivery
• Conduct maintenance of key and associated
• Manage stock of consumable items within the
• Post processing of Additively Manufactured parts
to include support/stock material removal and
surface improvement using a range of hand tools
• Following fixed working processes whilst
ensuring route cards and work instructions are
followed without deviation.
• Ensure a record of all process parameters and
results are maintained on process record sheets.
• Contributing to continuous improvement
• Support the Installation and commissioning of
• Responsible for ensuring the working area is
kept to a high standard.
• Training other team members in operation of
specialist Additive Manufacturing systems and
supporting equipment where necessary.
Candidate Specification: The post holder will need to be able to demonstrate
a level of autonomy with supervision required in
more complex projects / tasks.
1171 JD Additive Technician (v5) Page 2 of 5
The successful applicant will be placed in a team
based environment, they must be able
communicate to technical and non-technical
audiences inside and outside of the MTC.
Key Deliverables: Deliver job tasks efficiently and on time.
Reduce instances of rework or build failure
Maxiuminise personal Utilisation levels
1171 JD Additive Technician (v5) Page 3 of 5
Competencies / Behaviours
• Team focussed with the desire to learn new skills.
• Flexibility when working in a collaborative research
priorities may regularly
• Adaptability during a
period of growth or
• Great attention to detail.
Technical Skills and
• Previous experience
• Experience in Additive Knowledge working in a technical Manufacturing or capacity, such as within a working with metal
manufacturing or R&D powders
• Experience working
• The ability to work to fixed with additive
processes, whilst manufacturing software
ensuring H&S best such as Magic’s.
practice is followed at all
• Experience with 3D
• The ability to interpret
• Experience with manual
machining or the use of
• Experience working with inspection equipment
hand tools and hand
• Knowledge of lean
manufacturing tools/techniques. General Skills / Attributes
• The ability to self- motivate whilst working
independently to achieve
allocated tasks in a timely
1171 JD Additive Technician (v5) Page 4 of 5
• The ability to identify and
issues whilst ensuring
• Good verbal and written
• Experience in the use of
MS Office Education
• Apprenticeship in an HNC Level
engineering discipline or
Experience Background in engineering More than one of the
with particular experience in below:
at least one of the below:
• Manual Machining
• Bench Fitting
• Process controlled equipment
• General understanding
engineering processes Other The role will be based at the
MTC however on occasions they may be the need to
work on other
1171 JD Additive Technician (v5)