7 months ago
5 x Principle Design Engineer - CATIA / CAD
Airbus Defence and Space Stevenage
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2017, it generated revenues of € 67 billion and employed a workforce of around 130,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners from 100 to more than 600 seats. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as Europe’s number one space enterprise and the world’s second largest space business. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Description of the job
Are you a passionate Lead Designer looking to work within the Space industry? Do you enjoy getting the best out of your team and achieving goals together? Then this is the role for you!
This role would suit the following profiles:
Experienced Team Lead with intermediate CATIA or CAD experience.
Strong CATIA or CAD experience with an interest in becoming a Team Lead.
Airbus are looking for 5 x Experienced Design Engineer / Principle Design Engineers to oversee day-to-day activities for a small design team (5-20 people). For the right person, the career path opportunities are to become a Functional Team Lead within 18 months – 2 years.
You will be joining the Mechanical Design Office at Airbus Defence & Space in Stevenage.
* You will carry out Lead Designer activities for Spacecraft Structure design tasks.
* You will oversee day to day activities for a small team of Design Engineers ensuring all customer requirements are supported.
The successful candidate will need to gain UK Security Clearance in order to undertake related work in accordance with business needs.
Tasks & accountabilities
Your main tasks and responsibilities will include:
* Responsibility for the control, correctness, accuracy and relevance of all drawings, models, Digital Mock Up (DMU), bills of materials and Engineering Change Notes as related to the configured items for allocated project(s) to cost and schedule.
* Ensuring all outputs from the Mechanical Design Office (MDO) are correct to the project requirements as stated by the core team (generally the Responsible Engineer) All the project Design Office outputs must be checked, signed and stamped by the lead design engineer to the checklists and CATIA procedures.
* Authorising design signatory for manufacturing drawings, BoM's and ECO's related to the allocated project.
* Responsibility for the estimation and planning of DO related activities and manpower requirements to meet those tasks. Allocation of manpower is sought through the Team Leader.
* Supervising and mentoring of other DO design engineers working on the project.
* Providing support to other general DO activities, e.g. Process improvements, bids etc.
We are looking for candidates with the following skills and experience:
* Degree or equivalent in an Engineering discipline with working background the Aerospace industry.
* Excellent working knowledge and experience of CATIA V5.
* Strong Engineering & technical background including working knowledge of GD&T (Geometrical Dimensioning and Tolerancing) and DFM (Design for Manufacturing).
* Practical understanding of Design solution.
* Experience of VPM/3DCOM - Windchill BOM Management.
Desirable skills / experience are of interest, but NOT essential as training / support will be provided.
* Experience managing a small team.
* Experience managing work packages, dealing with budgets and headcount requirements.
* Experience of CATIA V6.